Tuesday, November 27, 2007

final project: take one



This is the first iteration. And to be honest I would be happy if it was also the last. But I know that is not to be. My fonts don't all match. Hopefully the three different size of face can be easily identified. I am trying to figure out another way to illustrate things intead of the smile. And I think the mixed eye symbols work. I had to make this a simple chloropleth also because there are 3 states that have the death penalty on the books but haven't executed anybody. I also need to line up the methods symbols on the legend. Does the rest of the legend work or is it confusing? Are the colors a problem at all?

2 comments:

Kevin Palmer said...

Wow, you've got a lot going on with this map. IMHO...few minor things... Color-I would lighten up the red and the darkest face. They are pretty dark and I think make some parts of the map hard to read. For example, the dark faces for Nebraska and Maryland I think it is, make the mouth and eyes symbols barely legible. The three states who have the death penalty but haven't used it, make them a different color in the legend, otherwise I think it looks like they are just missing something. Also choose a color other than white for states without the death penalty, they too kind of look blank (especially Alaska and Hawaii). I think the faces symbols are a really good idea for this map, but may need to be tweaked a little bit. Your legends are crucial for understanding this map. One thing I was curious about was your largest class for number executed. 64 to...is that 405??? is a huge class, maybe you could split it to make four classes and show which states are REALLY using capital punishment. Cool map though, but don't make it your last iteration!

Aaron said...

Thanks. I wasn't planning on leaving them white but I hadn't bothered to do anything. As far as the class sizes, the range should be 64-98 and then 405 as its own special one. But I don't know how to show it--maybe a super fat face. I will play with the colors when I am in the lab later this week.